Friday, March 13, 2009

Week 7, #16: Wikis

I began my browsing of the Wikis with the intent of finding useful ways of improving my own. The first I looked at, the SJCPL site was basically a tidy group of pathfinders. Easy, clean, nothing elaborate. Much what I do all the time.
The second site, the Book Lover's Wiki from the Princeton Public Library gave me an interesting easy way of making my wikis more collaborative. Here adults reviewed books that they had read as a part of a summer book club. I think this is something I could do in collaboration with our ELL and/or Read 180 classes. It would be quick and easy to do once the book was read. It is also very similar to what we do now when students add comments about titles in Destiny. I really liked the FAQ tab on the sidebar and think that is something I will work on incorporating into my wikis right away. It will make them easier to use by students that do not attend the instruction session when they are introduced. The last site I explored was the Albany County PL's wiki. It was a group of public library procedures. The wiki itself wasn't anything special but it took me to a group of how to videos on YouTube that are very similar to the work I am having my Library Assistants do this semester. I can hardly wait for to see what they have to say about them next week. Here is a fun example of how to straighten up the computers.

1 comment:

Surfergirl said...

I'm feeling a little dizzy after watching the video :) but I like the idea. Maybe we should do a PUSD library TA wiki collaboration thing? I really need to work on our TA curriculum but why recreate the wheel when you are doing great things?