Saturday, May 2, 2009

Week 9 #23 Copyright and Creative Commons

Copyright issues become more and more complicated as formats students are using in research increase. Creative Commons seems to make the copyright issue more visible for students and teachers. I think that we need to remain vigilant in our instruction of plagiarism and I personally need to broaden my scope to include media of many types not just pictures and videos in my discussions with students and teachers. This year audio files have become a big concern and I have been striving to educate both teachers and students. With our READ photo contest I am encouraging all the photo winners to license their work with Creative Commons. It validates their creative ownership and helps them realize what copyright is today.



One of the things I enjoyed most about doing this a 2nd time was the added benefits of working through the 23 things with my fellow PUSD teacher librarians. Even though CSLA was very good about commenting on my entrees the first time around, this time, the TLs provided immediate feedback and often discussion relevant to work actually going on at our schools.



Here is the final photo of three of us working together.

2 comments:

TACTL2 said...

And you're done! I'd like to find a way for us to collaborate more for our 6-12 students & staffs. We may be the only ones to truly miss the staff development days next year.

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Congratulations to the three of you working together on SLL2.0. That is the ideal way to build a 2.0 team! Best wishes.