Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thing 16: Wikis

From what I can tell, wikis seem to have replaced what used to be called pathfinders. Many that I have looked at are not collaborative, which I think is one of the main reasons they were designed. I have used them when I need to quickly build a webpage and do not have access to the school software. I also use them with my library assistants in online exercises. I have been using pbwiki and am not happy with the space alloted to educators or with the means of allowing others access (by email invites, now). I looked briefly at wikispaces and could not see how it would be any different or better than pbwiki. Now after looking at your examples, I am going to explore using mediawiki and possibly wetpaint in the future. Are there any others out there that you would recommend?

1 comment:

IrmaPince said...

I'm hooked on PBWiki, but you might want to talk to your IT folks. Our district IT developed an in-house wiki for staff and students to use. It is pretty plain vanilla, but easy to use and not blocked by our district filter.